Friday, September 16, 2005

Mind Over

"Step, low block, PUNCH!" Harris booms. "Gold belts return."
He said nothing about high gold belts, so I hold my stance. I can feel sweat trickling down the side of my face and my leg muscles beginning to complain. I cannot remember what this Karate form is called, but I can't wait to learn the other half. It looks like I finally will to day. Harris has the gold belts repeat their form and moves over to show us three high golds the rest of this form.
The movements flow rhythmical. My breathing is deep; I use it to push the moves harder and focus. Concentration is the key. It is mind over matter. I will master these stances, but at the moment my brain can't communicate with the rest of me. It looks like it will take some practice.
I think Karate III is the easiest (no, I wouldn't say easy, just the most enjoyable) class I have. I don't have to worry about tests and is can be very relaxing. Physical activity forces worries out of my mind as I concentrate on the movement.

This Friday, we start Eskrima again. It is a Filipino martial art, that uses two short swords. In the "Lord of the Rings", Legolas's fighting form is similar to what we learn. It is a good thing we only use wooden sticks. I have gotten enough cuts from those. It would also be bad if someone lost a hand when another person forgot to block the swing.

2 comments:

Kodi said...

I've always thought that Karate or some form of martial art would be fun to take. Sadly I have never had the chance to do so. I think medevil sword fighting would be a fun martial art to learn. Kick boxing is fun too, though I only did that for a couple of months. The guy was giving us the lessons for free, and after the two months he decided that that was enough for him, and so that is all we got. Oh well!
Hope you're doing well!

Scyldmaiden said...

I did try medieval sword fighting, but didn't keep up with it. The group of people met too far away for me. It was a little difficult to get along with them as well.
I really loved wearing the armor. Unfortunately it was the middle of summer and it can get very hot wearing long pants, long shirt, boots, padded over-coat, breast plate, shoulder plates, a gorget, elbow and hand protection, metal leg guards and shin guards. That is not even counting the helmet and shield, which are dead weights. On the other hand, whacking people with a wooden sword makes up for a lot of misery.
You probably would have enjoyed it very much, Kodi. ;)