Friday, February 17, 2006

Snowed in (almost)

Yesterday one of the largest blizzards in years, dumped a foot of snow on us. It was horrible driving to school yesterday and listening to the school closings. Basically all of the schools in Northeastern Wisconsin were closed, except for UW-Green Bay. (I have always wanted to have a snow day and was cheated out of it!) I left school early, skipping my late class, I headed home. The highway had one snow free lane, but everyone was driving slow. I was shocked to find my exit ramp to the next main highway closed. I wondered "How in the heck am I going to get home? I don't know where I am going!" I took the next exit and prayed I remember the way home. (I had only been on these roads once before with Dad, even than I wasn't sure.) I wasn't the only one trying to get back to De Pere, five cars followed me off the highway. The country roads hadn't been plowed yet and I was a afraid my low riding car would get stuck. Thank goodness it didn't and thank goodness the ever increasing procession of cars following me didn't mind the sporadic speeds. It was still snowing when I made it home 45 minutes after I left school. I almost got stuck at the bottom of our driveway. Elizabeth and Daniel were fooling with cross country skis on the driveway! I didn't want to hit them, so when I slowed I got stuck in a drift. After spinning my wheels back and forth, my car lurched forward. I slammed on the horn so the kids would know I was coming and that my stupid dog would get out of the way. He was running right in front of me! I pulled into the garage fast, but without mishap. I sat there for a moment and breathed a sigh of relief. I love snow, just don't make me drive in a blizzard!

9 comments:

Little Mary said...

Well Suzanne I know what you're talking about. I didn't even attempt to go out yesterday and called in sick at work because i didn't want to drive in that weather. MY roommate did though and she said it was HORRIBLE! I'm just thankful you made it home safe and sound.

Kodi said...

I also am glad that you made it home safely! Although, personally, I would have loved to have been out in weather like that. We don't get near enough winter weather around here.

Anonymous said...

NO KIDDING, Kodi! Holy cow! A foot of snow? The most we ever get is like 3 inches, pretty much, although we got like 5 a few years ago... I wish I lived in Wisconsin, but unfortunately, I'll probably be getting even less winter because we'll be moving to California this summer. Are you coming to visit this summer, Scyld? I want to meet you... So you should, before August. We got like an inch here a few days ago, which was cause for great rejoicing... It's too cold now to snow. Crazy Wa. weather, can't make up it's mind to be steriotypical. If that makes any sense.... I'll blame it on lack of sleep.

Gregaria said...

That was really surprising to wake up to snow on Valentine's day. What!? I love snow... :)

Scyldmaiden said...

Yes, I'll be visiting this summer Zenka. Hopefully before August.

Now it is too cold to snow any more. Last night was 17 below! *shivers* "Burr!"

Anonymous said...

Yay! That's positively terrific! I can't wait. :)

17 below? And I thought I was cold!

Anonymous said...

I can' t wait either! You'll have to come for our summer dance... :) Oich! 17 below is REALLY COLD! It makes me shiver just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

We can just have a dance when she's here, Sheila. It's okay to have more than one dance per summer. :)

Anonymous said...

Too true, too true. Hermes, you speak only truth. :) "...I wanna dance my life away!"